Thermoplastics are linear molecules with low lateral branches that melted when heated and solidify when cooled. But thermostats are compounds that do not melt when heated, and very high temperatures decompose irreversibly. Unsaturated polyesters are polymeric compounds whose precursors are polymers (constituent polymers), viscous liquids of medium and low molecular weight (usually about two thousand) with cross-links.
Unsaturated polyester resins are thermosetting and have the ability to be cured from liquid to solid form, in the right conditions.Unsaturated polyester resins are the most widely used type of resin in the world. The main polymeric chain of this resin has ester bonds which are prepared from the compressive reaction of a multifactorial alcohol compound and a multifactorial acid. By designing the formula and controlling saturated and unsaturated acids, catalysts, temperature and reaction time, it is possible to produce a complete set of resins that are suitable for different applications. The resin is diluted with styrene monomer, which itself participates in the curing process and creates cross-links.
Unsaturated polyester resins are classified into three types of orthophthalic, isophthalic and terephthalic unsaturated polyester resins.
Unsaturated polyester resins can be used in various methods such as hand layup, Filament winding, molding, RTM, Pultrusion, SMC and BMC.
The field of consumption of unsaturated polyester resins is very wide. Especially these resins are used in marine industry (small boats, kayaks, fishing and recreational boats and other marine structures), production of composite sheets (multi-structural), artificial stones (Corin, Quartz), sculpture and decorative objects. , FRP and GRP pipes, putty and stone mastic, wood varnish, button making, car parts and other fiberglass uses, etc.
The following are some of the characteristics of the un saturated polyester resins:
- Ease of use
- Proper shaping
- High strength against stress
- structure lightening using composite parts
- Good wetting of all types of fibers (glass fibers, collar fibers, carbon fibers, polyamide fibers, etc.)
- Variety of consumption methods
Why Resitan Polyester?
- Long history (over 28 years) in the production of unsaturated polyester resin
- Product quality assurance
- High variety of products suitable with any application
- Production of specialized grade of unsaturated polyester
- Perform advanced tests in the R&D unit equipped with the latest technologies